Installing a filter housing significantly improves the quality of drinking and industrial water. But any device of this type is not eternal. After a while, its main component – the cartridge, needs to be replaced.
The frequency of updating and the method of replacing the filter housing depend on several factors: the type of cleaner, its capacity, volume and quality of water consumed.
Each type of filter housing has its own purification resource. When it is exhausted, you have to change the filling of the device or install a new more advanced model.
The reasons for replacing the cleaner may be different. The presence of even one of them is a reason to buy a fresh cartridge or a new device.
In what cases do I need to unscrew?
Each filter housing wrench has its own water purification resource (the resource of cartridges is written in the instructions). If you use it more than the prescribed amount, the water quality will drop sharply. Therefore, it is necessary to change the cartridges that are inside each of the flasks in a timely manner.
Periodically it is worth checking the condition of the cartridges, even if their service life has not expired yet. For example, they can become clogged with rust fragments from old pipes or other large particles that accidentally got into the water supply.
In some cases, it is necessary to repair the device, for example, when a coarse whole house water filter leaks in cold water. In this case, you also need to unscrew the whole house water filter cup yourself.
Which Direction for Unscrewing Water Filter
Regardless of whether you are changing the whole house water filter in the house for the first time or simply do not remember in which direction to unscrew the whole house water filters, there is a popular mnemonics that will help you remember how to unscrew the filter:
“With your left hand freely, with your right hand carefully.”
This mnemonic is actually applicable to most threaded elements, such as screw, nuts or bolts.
In principle, turning the threaded elements to the left would weaken them, while turning to the right would tighten them. Since the metal filter housing wrench also has a thread, this mnemonic also applies to them. So keep this in mind so that when you change the filter, you know what to do.
The Proper Tool for Unscrewing a Whole House Water Filter
In addition to following the proper procedure for performing maintenance procedures, there are also proper tools that you need to use when performing them.
To unscrew the water filter housing, whole house water filters for the whole house are usually supplied with a water filter removal tool or a water filter wrench, which allows you to unscrew quickly and easily without causing any damage. Using this tool also allows you to unscrew even the most stuck filter housing.
Designed specifically to grip and rotate the water filter housing, a ring with teeth is attached to the wrench handle for a perfect fit on the housing. Filter wrench are usually made of durable plastic. But there are also more durable ones made of metal.
How to open the filter without a special key?
Factory plastic keys are often broken or lost. How to disassemble it in this case? To solve this problem, you can use (a few ideas):
For a standard bulb with a diameter of 12 cm, the key No. 5 is suitable, it will provide optimal girth. It is not necessary to clamp the flask too tightly so that the plastic housing does not crack. After the key is fixed, try to rotate the handle in the indicated direction
A leather or any other belt will do. Even if it is new, you can safely use it, nothing will happen to it. Make a loop and put it on the flask. Fix the buckle on the opposite side from the one you will pull into, then pull the belt with force
Rope and lever
Use a strong rope to make a loop, and then wrap the flask with the two ends of the loop. When the two ends are superimposed on each other, a hole is formed into which a lever (hammer, rolling pin or other similar object) needs to be inserted. Then turn the flask in the right direction with plastic housing
A wet rag
A very simple, but too much force effective method. A wet cloth should be wrapped around the stiffening ribs of the bulb and turned in the right direction. So the hands will not slip and there is no chance of being injured on the stiffening silicone grease ribs
The main problem that may occur at the stage of disassembly of the cleaning system is that the plastic flask of the filter may not unscrew. Most often this happens due to the fact that the container itself and its lid “stick” to each other during operation, and it becomes very difficult to unscrew them with bare hands.
In this case, install the key as close to the lid as possible and try to unscrew the case with neat jerks in order to break the scale layer, but not damage the thread itself. After that, all plastic elements will need to be cleaned well so that the scale remains do not violate the tightness of the housing after assembly.
Also, in the process of disassembling the device, the filter bulb may crack or burst. A device with a damaged bulb or lid cannot be used – it will be leaky, it will not be able to maintain the necessary pressure, and it will inevitably begin to leak.
Therefore, if such a situation does occur, it will be necessary to replace the filter housing with a new one. In the catalog of the Ecvols brand, you can find flasks suitable for all modern models of filter cartridges, as well as other spare parts for cleaning systems.
Another possible problem is that in the process of unwinding the system, the original key that came with it may break. Usually such keys are made of rather thin plastic, so they can crack or break with any careless movement. Next, we will tell you what can be done in this case.
What else to pay attention to when disassembling the filter
Replacing the cartridge in the water purification system is quite simple if you have only one. However, many modern systems assume at least three-stage cleaning, when the liquid passes sequentially through several filter elements.
The first element is usually responsible for “rough” cleaning – that is, the elimination of large mechanical particles, sand, silt, clay, and the like.
The second element, usually filled with granular coal, removes excess chlorine and organic compounds.
The third, filled with pressed activated carbon, is responsible for the final cleaning. All three cartridges can look very similar to each other, so when servicing the installation, it is very important not to confuse them and install them in the correct order.
Therefore, when replacing filter elements, always look at the markings on the packages. Also be sure to remember which way the thread on the filter is unscrewed and twisted. We are used to the standard thread being unscrewed counterclockwise, and twisted counterclockwise.
However, in cleaning systems, the opposite often happens, so when you try to unscrew the lid counterclockwise, you risk only tightening it more or completely tearing off the thread. Therefore, in order not to forget next time which way the case on your device is unscrewed, make a small mark on it or draw a small arrow.
How to Unscrew a Whole House Water Filter Housing (method 1)
All work is carried out quickly and simply enough, you just need to follow the instructions listed below in water pressure.
Step 1: Turn off Your Water Supply
Here you need to carefully inspect your filter wrenches first. Find the water supply line. Usually they are located in front of the water filtration system, there is also a shut-off valve. In order to activate it, you need to turn the valve to the left.
There are some filter wrenche models in which this valve is not present, then you can turn off the pump on the hydraulic panel by pulling the power switch to the off position.
Step 2: Relieve Water Lines of Pressure
The next step is to take the pressure off the water pipe. To do this, turn on the faucet in your home. Let the water flow until it is reduced to jets.
Step 3: Shut off the Water Valve After the Water Filter
Next, find another valve. It will also be on this stuck water filter housing. Turn it so that it is completely off. This will help you avoid running water from your home.
Step 4: Prepare a Bucket Under the Housing
Before unscrewing the whole house filter, you need to prepare a bucket for jumping into the water, which is located in the housing. It needs to be placed under the housing so that you can get rid of the water quickly.
Step 5: Release Pressure in the Housing
Water filtration systems usually have a pressure relief button at the top. Just push the button down until nothing else disappears or the water starts to flow out, or until the water turns into a trickle.
Step 6: Remove the Water Filter Housing
First you have to make sure that the housing is securely attached to the wall, and then take up the plumbing to be able to put all the effort into the housing by opening it.
Take the whole house filter wrench, install its toothed ring around the housing and turn the housing to the left. After you unscrewed the housing, you can finally clean it and replace the used filter housing wrenches.
How to Unscrew a Whole House Water Filter Housing (method 2)
The first sign of a clogged filter rubber strap wrench is a decrease in pressure in the pipeline (water is slowly being collected, there is not enough pressure when the shower is turned on).
Let’s consider the procedure for dealing with a similar situation:
- Shut off the water in the area where the filter is located. This can be a valve in front of the meter or a tap in front of a metal filter wrench with cartridges.
- Drain the remaining liquid from the filtration system using a water tap or a clean water valve on the cartridge filter.
- Put napkins or a low container under the two filter housing wrenches, since when unscrewing, water will still blow dryer.
- Unscrew the thread (counterclockwise) using a specialized wrench blow dryer (included with the filter) or apply a suitable wrench, adjustable, gas wrench (for the sump located in front of the water meter).
- Pull out the filter element, rinse it thoroughly in the container (item 1), you can use a brush or a rag. Some elements require periodic replacement (in carbon filters, fine cleaning).
- Insert the element into place and tighten the filter firmly (clockwise) without squeezing the thread.
- Open the water line, wait a little. Run a dry cloth over the joint, determining the presence of leakage.
- In case of socket wrench, tighten more or replace the sealing elements.
How to unscrew the filter depending on the type of filter?
To flush or replace the mesh, it is necessary to unscrew the hermetic plug in the form of a nut.
Let’s consider the whole process for mesh systems in order:
- To fill a container with water for washing the mesh.
- Prepare the available tools – 2 wrenches (the right size) or adjustable wrenches o ring, you can use one gas wrench.
- Turn off the water line to the old filter clockwise (usually the valve in front of the meter or closer to the riser).
- To relieve the pressure in the system by opening o ring the tap of cold or hot water on the mixer (depending on which line requires cleaning).
- Put a rag or a container on the floor for the remaining water that will flow out after opening o ring the nut.
- Choose a wrench o ring of the required size for the nut or use an adjustable wrench.
- With the second o ring key, hold the nut with which the product is screwed into the water pipe in order to stop the scrolling of the entire node together with the main line (it is more convenient to use a gas one).
- Slowly applying force counterclockwise, try to unscrew the nut that closes the filter housing removed mesh.
- After breaking the plug, you can continue to unscrew it with your hands and lefty loosey righty tighty.
- Pull out the mesh and examine it. If there is a lot of rust and debris on it, it is better to replace it. If, after brushing in water, it looks normal, then install it in place.
- If there is a strong rust coating on the mesh, it is recommended to purchase a new product.
- View the presence of a fluoroplastic gasket on the cork. If it is worn out, you can wind up the FUM tape.
- After installing a clean mesh, tighten the plug into place lefty loosey righty tighty.
- Open the water sup valve.
- Check the presence of moisture in the place of the threaded connection with a dry cloth.
- Advice! In the process of unscrewing, it is more convenient to hold the nut located further from the filter plug with the second plastic wrench.
They acquired their name because of their location on the main pipelines. The flasks into which the stuck filter elements are inserted are made of plastic or stainless steel.
Approximately once every 6 months, replacement of cartridges is required. For this operation, it is necessary to open the flask. Sometimes it sticks, the thread is difficult to unscrew.
To get to the cartridge, you must:
- Shut off the water sup and drain the remaining water by pressing the button on the flask lid (you can open the faucet of the mixer).
- Unscrew the new filter thread counterclockwise with a special key covering the flask around. It is necessary to make an effort for the filter canister to start rotating.
- In case of failure, wind a rag on the handle of the pressure release button with key for the convenience of applying effort. If there is free space, you can use a gas wrench.
- Rinse the open container in water.
- Replace the cleaning system cartridges.
- Check the condition of the rubber gaskets. Worn, hardened gaskets require replacement, otherwise after screwing, the tightness of the system will be broken.
- Install the flask back. Tighten firmly, but carefully, as it is possible to damage the plastic key or the thread itself.
Cartridge cleaning systems under the sink
In urban apartments, owners often prefer to install a filtration system with pressure release button under the kitchen sink. This is convenient because of the saving of free space, as well as the proximity to the purified water valve.
This system is usually equipped with several stages of purification, in some cases, including reverse osmosis purification. It requires periodic replacement of cartridges according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Consider the order of filter canister maintenance:
- Close the water sup valve to the filters.
- Put a basin or other container under the sink.
- Open the valve for purified water and drain its remains.
- Disconnect the flexible tubes at the entrance and exit to the system.
- Unscrew the housing with a special key.
- Get out the old cartridge.
- Thoroughly rinse the housing without the use of cleaning agents.
- Replace the cartridge with a new one. Make sure that the direction of the inserted element is correct.
- Tighten the case manually, and then, using a key.
- Perform this operation with all cleaning chambers.
- Check the system for leaks in the thread and pipe connections by opening the water sup valve.
The Council: Rubber O-rings on the cover of the product are usually supplied with new cartridges. You can use old seals if they are glued to the lid and seal it well. If it is decided to use new gaskets, then tighten the thread after replacing the water lines cartridge.
What to Do When a Whole House Water Filter Housing is Stuck
Thanks to the filter wrench in all the pressure, you can easily unscrew the filter housings. But, unfortunately, there are cases when there are small problems when unscrewing.
One of the main reasons why this can happen is that one or two O rings from the used filter that were removed earlier may remain needle nose pliers in the lower part of the housing. We recommend that you always carefully check the lower part of the housing to make sure that there are no O rings left on needle nose pliers.
Another reason is that it may have been too long supply line located. Filter housings do not need to be screwed very tightly, as they will be sealed with an O-ring on the rim, which helps prevent leakage. O rings should be screwed just enough so that they can be closed and secured to the lid, but not too tightly wrong direction.
In such cases, when the filter housing is jammed, below are some options that you can do:
1. Shutoff valve the Outer Side of the Housing With a Blow Dryer
This trick helps to expand the outer part of the case, which makes it easier to unscrew strap wrench. Sometimes the outer part can be a lid, sometimes a canister. Heat everything on the outside from all sides until you feel it is hot, and then use a wrench to unscrew the strap wrench housing.
2. Fit Two Wrenches Around the Filter With Handles Opposite From Each Other
With this arrangement of metal wrench in hydro panel, you can unscrew the case with both hands. If it is too difficult to unscrew it, two people can unscrew it.
3. Put Together Two Wrenches and Slide Their Handles in a Pipe
You can strengthen the wrench by connecting another wrench and pipe to it. This provides a stronger grip on the case and a longer handle, to which more effort can be applied. This method allows you to get more benefits.
4. Make Use of a Metal Wrench
The metal key is much stronger and comes with a longer handle. Thus, with the help of this, it is possible to facilitate the unscrewing of the stuck case.
5. Make Use of a Lisle Strap Wrench
If your filter housing is very difficult to unscrew, you can use a lisle belt stuck housing wrench to wrap the housing tightly.
Attach an extension cord for a ½-inch socket wrench to it, and attach a ½-inch socket wrench to the extension cord. Once they are attached, you will be able to unscrew the housing with greater ease, as they increase the force on the two filter wrenches housing.
How do you unscrew a tight water filter?
Step 1. The first thing to do before disassembling the filter is to block the water coming to the device.
Step 2. In any cleaning system, the liquid is under pressure, so as the next step, it is necessary to relieve the pressure inside the flasks. To do this, a small button is provided on the lid of the bulb – it usually has a red color.
Step 3. Then you can start disassembling the case. Gently rotate the flask in a clockwise direction.
Step 4. When you unscrew the flask, remove the old cylinder and sealing rubber bands from it.
Step 5. Next, you need to install a new replacement cartridge in place of the old one with a wrench, put the seals back in place and assemble the device in reverse order.
How do you open a tight filter?
To get to the cartridge, it is necessary to:
. Shut off the water supply and drain the remaining by pressing the button on the flask lid (you can open the faucet of the mixer).
. Unscrew the filter thread counterclockwise with a special key covering the flask around. It is necessary to make an effort for the filter to start rotating.
. In case of failure, wind a rag on the handle of the key for the convenience of applying effort. If there is free space, you can use a gas wrench.
. Rinse the open container in water.
. Replace the cleaning system cartridges.
. Check the condition of the rubber gaskets. Worn, hardened gaskets require replacement, otherwise after screwing, the tightness of the system will be broken.
Install the flask back. Tighten firmly, but carefully, as it is possible to damage the plastic key or the thread itself.
Now you know which direction to unscrew a water filter housing. It also helps to keep in mind the mnemonic, “Lefty loosely, righty tighty.”
Another helpful thing would be a water filter housing wrench, which would enable you to quickly and easily unscrew a water filter housing. But if ever you have difficulty in unscrewing a filter, you can try any of the different solutions presented earlier.